Monday, May 16, 2016

The Amazement of "See You Again" by Darius Mayfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

As I entered my room, which was dark and quiet as a graveyard, my phone began to ring, alerting me that I had received a text message. I began to check my phone and found out that my friend had sent me a link to watch a music video. In the text he told me that it was a great song and that I should listen to it. Since we liked the same music I thought that I should’ve given it a shot. The song was “See You Again” by Wiz Khalifa and it was the most interesting song I heard in a long time. I it became my favorite song and I listen to it everyday because I felt as though I could connect to the song.

Cameron Jibril Thomaz, better known as Wiz Khalifa was born on September 8th, 1987  in Minot, North Dakota. Wiz is an African-American male singer, rapper, and songwriter. He signed with the Warner Bros. Records in 2007. Wiz Khalifa  grew up too many rappers, but he says his musical influences are people like; Jim Hendrix, Camp Lo, The Notorious B.I.G. and Bones Thugs-n-Harmony. Charlie Puth however, was born on December 2nd, 1991 in Rumson, New Jersey. He became a fan of pop music after listening to Max Martin’s late ‘90s work. In the song “See You Again” Wiz Khalifa uses symbolism and rhyme throughout the song  to convey the theme that people should always cherish the moments they have with ones they love because you never know when they'll be gone.

Wiz Khalifa uses symbolism to help his readers understand that you should always just a moment you have with the ones you love because you never know when they'll be gone by showing that during the second verse of the song, Wiz talks about how their friendship has made them more like brothers. Wiz sings,
“First you both go out your way
And the vibe is feeling strong
And what's small turn to a friendship
A friendship turn to a bond
And that bond will never be broken
The love will never get lost (and the love will never get lost)
And when brotherhood come first
Then the line will never be crossed
Established it on our own
When that line had to be drawn
And that line is what we reach
So remember me when I'm gone,” (“See” 27-38).
Khalifa’s symbol of the line and how it represents his best friend, was it more like a brother, has reached his last point in life, has shown us that you should always cherish the moments you have with the ones you love because you never know when they'll be gone. People think that people are going to be on this Earth forever,when sadly, that is not the case. People, sooner or later, have to cross that line(die) and when they do, there is no coming back. This is why people should spend every second with the ones they love like it's the last second you have with that person, because you never know if those seconds will be final seconds you have together.

By using rhyme, Wiz Khalifa explains to his listeners that you should always cherish your moments with people because you never know when they'll pass away. In the hook of the song, he begins to talk about everything he's had to go threw in his life, his friend has been through it with him. Wiz Khalifa begins to sing, “ How can we not talk about family when family's all that we got?/Everything I went through you were standing there by my side/And now you gon' be with me for the last ride,” (“See” 19-21). By rhyming “everything I went through you was standing there by my side” with “ last ride” Wiz  is contrasting how his friend has been there with him throughout all his struggles with this is the last ride they have with each other. This reveals the theme that you need to cherish the moments you have with the ones you love because you never know when they'll be gone because even though your friends are with you for a long time, doesn’t mean they can always be there for you. People nowadays feel as though their friends are like toys, you can play with them and then toss them aside, expecting them to always be there, but this song snaps us back to reality and shows us that people leave, even when you least expect it.

A significant strength of “See You Again” are the emotional and relatable lyrics. Khalifa relies on the emotions of his audience to relay his message. A powerful and emotional part of the song was when it said,
It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again,” (“See” 1-4).
This strengthens the song by really striking the reader’s emotion and truly having them connect with the song. After listening to his song it made me want to listen to it over and over and over again, each time becoming more heartfelt than the next.

While Khalifa does an amazing job by appealing to his listener’s emotions with his lyrics, his tone did the exact opposite. It made the song seem bland and boring, which really is a bummer considering how great the lyrics were. For example, during the song his tone made it feel as though Wiz wasn’t really connecting to the song. Instead it felt as though he was reading words from a piece of paper. Since his tone clearly was boring and emotionless, it made the whole song seem like it wasn’t as powerful as it could’ve been. But overall I think “See You Again” will be one of the greatest songs of all time.

In the song “See You Again”  Wiz Khalifa’s use symbolism and rhyme helps his listeners understand that you should always the moments you have with the ones you love because you never know when they'll be gone. This song reminded me of the time my grandfather passed away and we never really talked or spent time with one another, so I miss him alot and I wish I could’ve spent more time with him. This is why I love this song, it sends a deep messages and helps remind people that your friends and family are going to be here forever. People should always make time for the ones they love and make every moment they spend with them a happy moment, because otherwise, it will be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment