Monday, May 16, 2016

Analysis of Fatboy Slim’s “Praise You” by Milo Straghalis


Scroll, scroll, scroll, I’m looking for new songs. I’d been growing tired of listening to the same mix over, and over again. My dad came over and inquired about what I was doing. I explain my predicament to him. Them he suggests Fatboy Slim because I’d been listening to electronic music. I looked him up and started listening to some of his tracks. I came across “Praise You” and loved it, not only because of the way it sounded, but because of the message. Fatboy Slim is one of the best electronic musicians out there. With his unique style of sampling and mixing he’s changed electronic music one synth at a time. His real name, Norman cook was changed from Quintin to Norman early on his life. Cook joined the band “Housemartins” in 1985 and left in 1988. He was born in 1963 and is 53 years old. His music has won many awards such as: Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Music, MTV Video Music Award for Best Breakthrough, NME: Award for Best Dance Record, and countless others. The song “Praise You” by Fatboy Slim is telling the theme that you need to appreciate the important people in your life. He uses both allusion & rhyme to demonstrate this.





By using allusion, Fatboy Slim brings his listeners attention to the fact that you need to appreciate the important people in your life. He opens up the song by informing us, “ I have to celebrate you baby/I have to praise you like I should”(“Praise” 3-4). In these lines Fatboy slim alludes that he hasn't been showing love & appreciation to this person before and will try to in the future. This reveals the theme that you need to appreciate the important people in your life by saying that if you’re not, you should be.

By using rhyme, Fatboy Slim helps his listeners understand that you should appreciate the important people in your life. In verse two he reminds us, “ We’ve come a long long way together/Through the hard times and the good/I have to celebrate you baby/I have to praise you like I should”(“Praise” 5-8). By rhyming “good’ with “should” Cook is connecting the idea that when someone has been good to you and important to you you should appreciate and praise them. This reveals the theme that you need to appreciate the important people in your life by explaining how when people have done good things and are important to you, you need to appreciate them.

The biggest strength of “Praise You” is the message it sends. Fatboy Slim sends out a great clear message to all of his listeners. The message is one that we all tend to forget and should start practicing more and more. A bonus to the great theme is the instrumentals that accompany the song, they are also amazing! However, while the lyrics do tell a great message, there is only one verse and that one verse keeps repeating over and over with slight pitch changes. This can make the song drag on for too long. Some more lyrics would have been nice and could have helped the emphasize the song's message even more.

Praise You” is a powerful song that tells a very positive message to everyone. This song stuck with me because sometimes I don’t appreciate the important people in my life. And I take them for granted, from now on I should treat them with great respect and acknowledge them for their hard work. I recommend that you talk to or call all of the important people in your life once a week if not daily. I should also praise you for reading my essay.

1 comment:

  1. Your evaluation paragraph is very strong! You highlight key strengths and weaknesses within the song, though one thing you could improve would be to be more creative with your paragraph/sentence structure, but overall great essay!

    ReplyDelete